Up: No Title
The committee members are unanimous in their view that modest steps
could be taken by CIT which could be highly beneficial to Unix users
in both small and large departments, and which can result in
overall cost savings to the University. In brief:
- We recommend that CIT maintain a library - ``/usr/princeton'' -
of public domain and site-licensed software for
common Unix platforms.
- We recommend that the supported platforms for /usr/princeton
include Solaris, Irix, and Linux.
- We recommend steps to be taken by CIT to
better coordinate licensing of software.
- We recommend that consideration be given to
expansion of the DeSC program to include Linux as an option.
- We recommend that the hardware support available for DeSC hardware
be made available for identical hardware running Linux.
These recommendations are expanded upon below.